Monday, April 22, 2013

Planned Service Changes

[Edit, 4-30-14: I put this post up a week ago and then took it down after a few hours because, seriously, there is no way I am going on hiatus. But apparently it's bad form to put a post up and then delete it, so in the interests of historical integrity I'm putting it back.]

This blog has never had a high volume of posts, but it's going to drop to zero for the next few months.

As some of you know, I'm in the final stages of my PhD at UMass-Amherst (the Gondor of the austerity wars). I've been working on this thing for quite a few years, and could happily work on it quite a few more -- except, damn it, I went and got a job. Starting next fall, I'll be an assistant professor in the economics department at Roosevelt University in Chicago.

It's a good job. I like the department a lot: it's unapologetically heterodox and serves mostly working-class students; I like my new colleagues and I don't mind moving back to Chicago, where I lived for most of the '90s. Of course my mother thinks I should be at Harvard, and I do harbor fantasies of teaching at the PhD level. But that's not going to happen, and short of that, Roosevelt is about ideal for me. So I'm happy.

But! I do have to get the dissertation done and defended before then. So, rewarding as this blog is -- and it really is rewarding; I think I have the best readers in the econosphere -- I need to shut it down. Next post you see from me, will be after the thesis is submitted. slow the pace of posting, from its already low levels.

Honestly, you probably won't even notice the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment